Dry Herb Vapes?
Dry herb vaporisers are electronic devices that gradually heat the dry bud, creating vapour for inhalation. Dry herb vaporisers are different than the more common 'vape pens', which heats oil or vape liquid in a cartridge.
Vaping gradually heats cannabis without burning or combusting the flower, allowing you to consume it without smoking any toxic carcinogens.
Combustion occurs at high temperatures, above 230ºC, whereas vaporisation occurs at a lower temperature than combustion and is considered to be easier on the lungs and a healthier alternative to smoking. Vaping is also much more discreet, as it smells less than smoking.
Portable or Desktop
There are two types of vaporisers suitable to use for medicating cannabis. The first is a portable vaporiser, they will typically be easy to carry and hold a small amount of flower in it's "Chamber" / "Oven". The next one is a desktop vaporiser, these are much larger devices that can hold much larger quantities and can have higher heating qualities and speed.
Generally the price of these devices are not cheap and are not typically supplied to patients with their treatment except for a few clinics that provide these devices with their services.
There are some lower end vaporisers that still get the job done well. From my own personal experience as a medical cannabis patient, I used the Sapphire by Storm, it is nearly not as great as my current vaporiser but it got the job done and for less than £50 I was quite happy to start there.
How Do I Vape?
Medical cannabis patients have a variety of options when it comes to consuming their medication, including smoking, vaporising, and consuming edibles. One popular method of consumption is using a dry herb vaporiser. Vaporising, or "vaping," cannabis involves heating the flower to a temperature that is high enough to release the active compounds, but low enough to avoid combustion, which can produce harmful smoke.
Here is an instructional resource for medical cannabis patients on how to consume cannabis flower using a dry herb vaporiser:
- Start by purchasing a high-quality dry herb vaporiser. There are many different types and models available on the market, so it's important to do your research and select one that suits your needs and preferences.
- Grind your cannabis flower to a fine consistency. Many vaporisers come with built-in grinders, but you can also use a separate manual or electric grinder.
- Pack the ground cannabis into the vaporiser's chamber, making sure not to overfill it or to over pack it. The chamber can be filled to just below the rim.
- Turn on the vaporiser and set it to the desired temperature. The optimal temperature range for vaporising cannabis is between 180-190°C (356-374°F).
- Inhale gently and slowly, drawing the vapour into your lungs. Hold the vapour in for a few seconds before exhaling.
- Start with a low temperature and gradually increase it to see how your body reacts. Some people prefer to start at a lower temperature for the taste of terpenes, then slowly increase for better effect.
- Vaporising cannabis typically produces less odour than smoking, so you can use it discreetly as needed.
- Vaporising cannabis may not produce the same instant effects as smoking, so be patient and give it some time for the effects to kick in.
- Always start with a low dosage and increase gradually until you find the right amount for you. Consult with your physician and monitor how you are feeling and adjust accordingly
- Clean and maintain your vaporiser regularly, using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance.
Here are some simple guides on how to get the best out of your dry herb vaporiser:
"7 Tips To Up Your Weed Vaping Game Instantly"
Explaining the MIGHTY MEDIC's performance: A patented combination of convection and conduction heating ensures an immediate and continuous vaporisation.
MHRA Approved Medical Devices
Since April 2022 only 3 devices have become the only medically approved devices for dried flower vaporising in the UK and across most of Europe and America. These devices have been approved due to their safety around sensitive equipment, such as ventricular assist devices. There are no performance or physical differences.
The difference between S&B medical cannabis vaporizers and their household vaporizers is that the Volcano Medic 2 and Mighty + Medic are certified medical devices for the inhalation of cannabinoids. They were tested and certified according to the standard DIN EN 60601 - safety for medical electrical equipment.
The vaporizers Volcano Hybrid (ONYX Edition), Volcano Classic (+ONYX, Gold & Signature Edition), Plenty, Mighty + and Crafty +, on the other hand, S&B household devices are intended to be used with different herbs (e.g., eucalyptus, lavender, camomile, lemon balm,.. - see Instruction for Use). They were tested for the safety requirements of the standard DIN EN 60335 - safety for household and similar electrical appliances. S&B has a certified quality management system following EN ISO 13485. The devices Volcano Hybrid and Crafty+ work with Bluetooth and therefore the settings can be adjusted with the Storz & Bickel App. The Volcano Medic 2, on the other hand, has no Bluetooth function implemented. However, the main functions can easily be adjusted at the device itself.